April 12, 2011
Posted by on
Today isn’t my birthday; put away your cakes and candles everyone. Last Saturday was my birthday though and I spent a wonderful weekend in my hometown introducing GE to the area I grew up in and my family. It was a great opportunity to catch up with everyone that I don’t see regularly and a fantastic chance for my family to share some embarrassing information with GE as they met her for the first time!
As I commence my thirty-sixth year of adventure, I thought I might reflect for a moment. I say reflect but I’m beginning to forget things now so it’s important for me to sit down and really think from time to time.
In a concerted effort to keep remembering things before I forget them (which is quite handy, given that I may never re-remember them once I’ve forgotten them, right? What was I talking about?) and to celebrate another anniversary of the mildly eccentric, deeply insightful-yet-thoroughly random, logical and inexplicable force that is trapped inside this man’s body I present to you all a list!
A list of tidbits that may never come close to explaining the person I have been for the past 35 years and may be (God willing) for another 35 or so.
- There’s a TV show I like to watch called ‘Talkin’ ‘Bout Your Generation‘ and while I thoroughly enjoy it, I always get annoyed when the host says “… common or garden <insert noun here>.”, instead of “… common or garden VARIETY <insert noun here>.”;
- I always feel great satisfaction when creating or correcting flowcharts. I derive a great sense of calm and inner peace from creating order from chaos. This flows into anything relating to ordering or arranging things – my DVDs are kept in precise alphabetical order, as are my CDs (which are also sorted into soundtrack and compilation sub-categories);
- When I was young I was a great speller. I remember winning a school spelling bee and my prize was a book about dinosaurs. That book is still around – my nephew reads it now;
- When dressing for work, I always put on my shoes before I put my shirt on. I do this to minimise the creasing of my (usually well-)ironed shirts as I tie my shoe-laces;
- I’ve always been a slow eater. There’s no real reason for that. I also rarely mix my food if it isn’t already. Instead, I eat my meal portions in order of preference: veggies first, then noodles/rice, then meat. Although above all else, potatoes wait until lucky last. Mashed, roasted, I LOVE potatoes!
- As a geeky teen I enjoyed painting different types of fantasy, tabletop gaming miniatures. I played a game called Necromunda and in my relentless desire to maintain continuity I used to modify my miniatures to reflect battle injuries like bionic arm and leg replacements;
- Apart from two or three music festivals I’ve seen five artists live in concert: Counting Crows, Foo Fighters, Dashboard Confessional, Jason Mraz and Christina Aguilera…
- When I was a child, my favourite food was the banana. It’s still up there as one of my favourite all-time foods;
- I was a very easy birth on the day I was born. However, approximately 2 months before that day I kicked so hard I broke one of my Mum’s ribs. Sorry Mum!
There are of course many more “interesting” facts about me. Like all of us, every day brings a new challenge and I’m looking excitedly forward in anticipation of what is yet to come! I’d love to know a little more about you – tell me some interesting things about yourself in the comments!