Indiana Jones is a hero of mine; he should be a hero to everyone. He doesn’t have to be your biggest or only hero, but you should give him a chance. I’ve learned a lot about life from him; here are 10 of the most important things:
1. Have at least one unique skill – There are many things that everyone can do. Skills are good to have, but having a skill that is uncommon (say, being able to identify the Holy Grail or work a whip like nobody’s business for example) brings a whole new dimension to any situation or conversation.
2. Ladies love grand gestures – Nothing says “I care” more than threatening to destroy the vessel containing the original Ten Commandments (especially when archaeology is your life) to get your girl back. If you don’t have access to the Ark of the Covenant, usually just doing something that demonstrates that you are prepared to express yourself unashamedly in front of strangers goes over really well. I imagine that this is also applicable for guys, even if we don’t all admit it.
3. Knowledge is cool – Not just book learning, but also the kind that shows you’re willing to learn about others as well as yourself. Being able to speak a different language or respect someone’s culture always makes you more appealing. Similarly, remembering the lessons you (or ancient civilizations) have learnt along the way will help you improve your chances of coming out on top in the end.
4. Be observant – Even when people don’t think you’re paying attention, observe what’s going on around you. You never know where secret tunnels will appear. Also, people like it when you notice things about them that not everyone else knows.
5. Determination gets you there – Sometimes you have to spend time and money chasing valuable things around the World. It’s always worth it in the end. Even coming home empty-handed just means that there’s another adventure waiting.
6. Believe in others, but know the boundaries – Sexy Nazis can be fun and distracting; jungle guides can be very useful indeed. But once you know they’re not on your side anymore, don’t let them mess you around.
7. Time is generally good for everything – From healing wounds to making things invaluable, time is generally on your side. Don’t take that as a green light to waste time though; you never know when someone else is going to make a play for whatever it is you currently have your eye on!
8. Friends and family are important – Your friends and family will always be there for you. Appreciate their love and support, even if they show it by burning you with a torch to snap you out of a crazy hypnotic state.
9. Having a weakness doesn’t make you a weak person – Whether it’s snakes, the dark or infomercials, it’s ok to have a fearful hatred of something. It doesn’t mean you’re any less able to live an outstanding life.
10. Be prepared to get dirty – Going after the things you want is hard work. You will quite probably find yourself creeping through dank, dark caves, scaling cliffs and in similar uncomfortable and unsanitary situations along the way. Just make sure you keep moving forward, you’ll get there in the end. And when you get there – definitely have a shower.